Cameras in weather extremes
3 3

5 posts in this topic

Here in South Dakota, we have temperatures from -30F to +115F, crazy high humidity, and large amounts of snow/rain/freezing rain. The manual doesn't say anything about operating in extremes. Does anyone have first hand experience?

That is an excellent question...  I have had a single outdoor camera since December and have had no problems with it due to weather.  We bottomed out at -17F this past winter and have reached the 90's a few times this year with high humidity and a lot of rain.  I don't think you'll have any problems with the camera at -30F, since heat is the enemy of electronics I'd be more concerned about 115F, especially if the camera is in direct sunlight.  The cameras aren't exactly regarded for their image quality but I have no doubt that they are well built to withstand the elements.

Manual for the outdoor camera: http://www.lowes.com/pdf/OC821%20Outdoor%20Manual_FINAL.pdf

Third party manufacturer web page: http://www.sercomm.com/contpage.aspx?langid=1&type=prod3&L1id=2&L2id=3&L3id=9&Prodid=100

Operating Temperature 0° C to 50° C (32° F to 122° F)

NOTE: The cameras do not have manufacturers firmware/software. They are loaded with a custom Iris firmware. If not purchased from Lowes the cameras will need to be flash with Iris firmware.

So, if these cameras are bought as generic, is there a guide for flashing Iris firmware?

I am assuming that the cameras are loaded at the factory with Iris firmware. The reason behind the madness is they remove the access to the via the web UI thus increasing security. I am unaware of a method of flashing the camera with the manufacturer's firmware.