Garage door controller in hand
6 6

88 posts in this topic

Garage door controller

So I took a trip to my friendly neighborhood Lowes store last night to pick up some home improvement type things and as always took a quick peek at the Iris display to see if anything was new or different, plus I wanted to see the pet door in person.  Much to my surprise I spotted the garage door controller that I have been scouring the Lowes.com website for daily.  I snatched it up quickly as there was someone else looking at the display as well and this was the last one - this was one of my original wish list items so you can imagine my joy - the purchase price was $96.36 without tax. I did not have a chance to install the device yet but did unbox it when I got home and I can confirm it comes with its own tilt sensor so the other one floating around will not be needed.

More details to come after the install.

Thanks,
redmosquito

It shows a # 589237 on the upper right of the box,  looks like the potential item #.

That doesn't show up on their site though when you search, nor does garage door controller or IRIS garage ....

What's weird is for the past couple items, (tilt sensor, irrigation, etc.) they've been on the site prior to being in stores.

rangersjay99 -  Did you happen to have them scan your MyLowe's  card during purchase?

If so, check your purchase history and see if it pops up, and if so if it shows a different item # can you report what it is so we can find the online listing?

I did that the other day when I bought a promo pack of a Cutter bug yard bug spray,  thought I got the last one in the store (wanted more at that price and the promo pack wasn't showing up online)  but the next day when I clicked on it in the purchase history,  a hidden listing popped up and I was able to see they had 80 more in store they hadn't put out.

It shows a # 589237 on the upper right of the box,  looks like the potential item #.

That doesn't show up on their site though when you search, nor does garage door controller or IRIS garage ....

What's weird is for the past couple items, (tilt sensor, irrigation, etc.) they've been on the site prior to being in stores.

rangersjay99 -  Did you happen to have them scan your MyLowe's  card during purchase?

If so, check your purchase history and see if it pops up, and if so if it shows a different item # can you report what it is so we can find the online listing?

I did that the other day when I bought a promo pack of a Cutter bug yard bug spray,  thought I got the last one in the store (wanted more at that price and the promo pack wasn't showing up online)  but the next day when I clicked on it in the purchase history,  a hidden listing popped up and I was able to see they had 80 more in store they hadn't put out.

589237 is the correct number. It's my understanding it will not be available on the website for another week or so.  It looks like they're in many stores at this time.  I called 3 of my local stores and they all said they showed 4 in stock and they had arrived from as soon as today to as late as the 4th.

I was able to snag one as well (thanks redmosquito...pearl jam reference?  :) ).  My experience with pairing so far is that it comes up as an "unsecured device" and that's pretty much the end of the road.

One side note, at my store it wasn't on the shelf...it was locked up in a cage at the front of the store with no pricing listed.  The staff pulled it out, scanned it, told me the price and asked if i wanted to buy.  I'm getting the sneaking suspicion they weren't supposed to do that yet...

post-29-0-67175400-1404779017_thumb.jpg

post-29-0-74533900-1404779416_thumb.jpg

Well if it's not supposed to be listed online, now I'd be especially curious if it shows up via mylowes history as kind of a back door to an unpublished listing. I found everything usually shows up in the history...

That's exciting.

Curious to hear how you wire it,  and how the tilt sensor compares to the Nyce one in size / mounting.

Me too. Is it actually wired or is it like the chamberlan kit that is completely wireless?

just got off the phone with support.  Had to unpair, pull the batter from the tilt sensor, wait 30 seconds, replace the tilt sensor battery, hit the link button 5 times on the controller, go back through the pairing process and everything was good.  They mentioned that they've had several calls about this today.

After pairing was successfull it said "possible obstruction.  operate door manually...", so i opened and closed the door manually then went back to the devices list and now it says it's ok.

ok, it's up and running and working.  It adds an item to the Controls section (that was a little unexpected, I figured it would either go in its own section or in the door locks section...but whatever).

I'll have to look into the magic rules later.

i see no specific section in magic for the garage door controller.  As far as i can tell it just shows up in the dropdowns wherever door sensors show up.  So far i'm not encouraged...

Does it act as a device that if triggered would set off the alarm?

Do you think that a tilt sensor will still be needed for magic device control?

How does it report on your mobile app?

Yes, I got mine tonight as well at my local store and it was $96.36 and I've confirmed that it should actually be $99.99 for the GDC. Anyhow, it's late and don't think I'll get mine setup tonight but you can bet I will this week. Been waiting a whole YEAR for this moment. I hope it's all I expected it to be. 

So here it is in the flesh! I've taken pictures of what is inside the box and the package that shows the contents. Can't wait to get it all set-up. It's been a long time coming!!

a5enetu8.jpgheta2y6y.jpg

It looks like it can trigger the alarm (the tilt sensor basically acts like any contact sensor - opened/closed and all the notification and other magic that goes along with it.

It is meant to be installed on the ceiling next to the opener, so they are assuming you have a spare power receptacle close by (the controller does not run on batteries). It has a bracket that holds the power transformer in place (screws onto the receptacle plate) and a mount adapter for the controller for attaching it to the strut used to mount the opener. I just screwed it right into the ceiling. That's about it besides various screws and zip ties (which you can see in a post above).

In the mobile app it just shows up as another device under the 'control' tab. You can open and close it...that's about it.

I was hoping there would be a way to program iris to open the garage door any time a key fob was reattached to the system, but I'm not seeing an obvious way of making that happen. I'll spend some Kore time with it tomorrow...

Also, I have a chamberlain liftmaster pro, it has 4 terminals on the back: red | white | white | black. There were already three wires going into each of the red, second white, and black. I just mashed the two leads off the controller into the red and 2nd white terminal and everything appears to work.

It looks like it can trigger the alarm (the tilt sensor basically acts like any contact sensor - opened/closed and all the notification and other magic that goes along with it.

My understanding from other users who have purchased that stand alone tilt sensor that you can have the sensor setup to act like an alarm sensor and have it activate the intruder alarm or not do anything but tell you if it's been moved or I assume OPEN/CLOSE status of the garage door. Someone will have to correct me if I'm wrong. I'm hoping I'll get mine setup this week, if time permits so that I can give feedback on the unit. 

Everybody,   if you want to see how it works,  sign out of the app, then click the take a test drive button on the bottom.

It logs you into a demo mode that has like every single IRIS items available active and you can play with controlling them.

You can go to the controls tab and look at the picture of the garage door and click the open/close button and see how the animation works.

The stand alone tilt sensor does not have this view on controls,  just the status and behavior like a contact sensor.

Sure you can make the tilt sensor an alarm trigger, (mine actually was by default)  but that's probably not recommended because you'd be setting the alarm off likely before you turn the alarm off because your garage door remote in your car is not tied to IRIS.   If you have a home you don't visit often and actually want it to purposely set the alarm off, then it would be a good application.

They are definitely missing a couple useful magic rules,   hopefully a hub update will include them.

It makes sense that they didn't magically appear after adding the device, as I think all possible magic is listed for everybody, even before you get the hardware.  You probably can see magic for the pet door for example and you may not have it.

The pretty obvious missing magic I can think of are:

1.  If alarm mode changes and a sensor is open,   send someone a message

(obvious use is I left and left the garage open, but in theory if it's just a sensor could be applied to any contact sensor)

This would work with just the stand alone tilt sensor

2.  If alarm mode changes and the garage door is open,  close it

This one sounds just like the,  if the alarm mode changes and a lock is un-locked, lock it   rule that already exists

Sounds like a safety concern to have it close without being there but perhaps that's why it has the flashing lights / beeping features built in.  Will see on this one

3.  If the garage door opens,    change the alarm mode

This one exists for the lock as well,  when the lock is unlocked change the alarm mode.  

At first thought this would be really cool because it would supersede the key fob presence function and alarm for a more seemless disarming...

But you'd have to consider if someone got your garage opener or some how in general was able to open it,  it would disarm your alarm.

It's kind of like the flaw where if you have the magic rule to disarm the alarm if the lock is unlocked,   where if you have a side view window next to your door, an intruder could break the window, reach in, manually turn the deadbolt, and by doing so they'd actually disable the alarm. 

There would definitely be some pros and cons to these rules, but hopefully they'll add them allowing for us to chose how to use them.

Joel, thanks again for the explanation of the installation,  sounds like it was pretty straight forward

This is awesome news.  Thanks for providing the item number.  I called 3 stores closest to me in Kansas City and none of them had them in stock just yet.  One said they have 4 in the store that are still in a "processing" state so they think they're in receiving still so it should be available soon.  This has been on the top of my list of stuff to get for a while.  

I was able to snag one as well (thanks redmosquito...pearl jam reference?  :) ).  My experience with pairing so far is that it comes up as an "unsecured device" and that's pretty much the end of the road.

One side note, at my store it wasn't on the shelf...it was locked up in a cage at the front of the store with no pricing listed.  The staff pulled it out, scanned it, told me the price and asked if i wanted to buy.  I'm getting the sneaking suspicion they weren't supposed to do that yet...

You figured me out joelgarnick and uncovered a pearl jam fan boy. It's almost like we work in the same office building or something.  Anyway thanks for the detailed installation instructions.  

I have not yet found time to install my controller but am hoping to do so tonight.  I am really hoping that this ties in with key fob/presence/scene control and will let every know if I find anything different than what is posted regarding the magic rules.