Home Depot selling Wink
3 3

96 posts in this topic

Home Depot has jumped on board the home automation bandwagon with Wink.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/personal/2014/07/07/home-depot-sells-wink-smart-home-products/12301079/

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Quirky-Hub-Smart-Home-Gateway-PWHUB-WH01/205132090

http://www.winkapp.com/

http://www.cnet.com/products/wink-hub/

With Wink Home Depot appears to be going more along the lines of Staples in that they're focused on integrating with brand third party products instead of trying to create their own "Works with Wink" versions of everything.  They list some interesting home automation products (egg minder, anyone?) but they appear to lack some important pieces for anyone focused on security.

Still, I'm hopingl that the price point ($50 for the hub) and focus on more brand name devices will help push Lowes to catch up on releasing new devices. 

I also noticed the same as my 2 local Home Depot stores. It's so brand new that I was there while the employees were in training on the product. They are going along the lines of using the products that are for sure Works with Wink. I saw the goofy display at my other store that they put up and it wasn't professional looking at all. Should have taken a picture of it. But, what I do like and I'm not going to lie, I do own a few Quirky + GE products, so I will be picking up the HUB which allows for integration of other products to work with it. See this link: http://www.amazon.com/Wink-Connected-Home-Hub-PWHUB-WH01/dp/B002YVHYF2

Two more things that makes this, erhm, interesting.

Buy two devices and it's basically free: link.

API is out there to start with: link.

Reviews for all devices seem to be universally negative at this point--seemingly alpha testers playing with them. But take that how you want to.

J.

Edit: it has 6 radios, and supposedly supports Honeywell Wifi thermostats, which I have and have been disappointed to not have integrated with Iris.

I stopped by and looked at it today also... Didn't buy anything as the articles about it all implied that home depot would be offering the discount, but the staff didn't know anything about it. I'm at least getting refuel (which doesn't require the hub) because that's just an awesome concept! I'm intrigued by their multisensor also...

Side note: staples connect is expanding significantly next week. Will be interesting to watch... Competition is good!

I stopped by and looked at it today also... Didn't buy anything as the articles about it all implied that home depot would be offering the discount, but the staff didn't know anything about it. I'm at least getting refuel (which doesn't require the hub) because that's just an awesome concept! I'm intrigued by their multisensor also...

Side note: staples connect is expanding significantly next week. Will be interesting to watch... Competition is good!

I spoke with a rep online and they state that the add for the purchase of the HUB and then getting an accessory you will get $25 off or $49 off if you purchase 2 accessories, but again that is with the purchase of the hub. Link to article. 

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/personal/2014/07/07/home-depot-sells-wink-smart-home-products/12301079/

If anyone is actually able to purchase the Wink Hub in store, please let me know, because so far I've been to 3 of my local stores that all show the HUB in stock and not ONE of them can find the product. And it officially sold out online via Home Depot. You can still purchase it online via Amazon. I knew there was a reason I didn't like Home Depot, but I wanted my hands on this now, not wait for shipping. Yes, I want to check it out and play around with it to see how it works since I already own Wink Porducts and of course Zigbee, Z-Wave Products.  :)

I can confirm that it was in stock yesterday at the Home Depot I checked out.  However, the staff didn't know anything about the supposed discount on the hub based on the accessories purchased, so i held off on buying anything.  Not sure if that's an Amazon only deal at this point...all the news releases I read about it seemed to indicate that Home Depot would be offering that deal...

I gave the app a download after reading that it can control some devices without the hub... Unfortunately it does not work without it with my honeywell wifi thermostat even though home depots page shows that it isnt needed. Odd that the wink app cant control something via wifi, you would think that all you would have to do is simply login to honeywell via the app. Figured the hub was mainly for z-wave and zigbee devices.

I gave the app a download after reading that it can control some devices without the hub... Unfortunately it does not work without it with my honeywell wifi thermostat even though home depots page shows that it isnt needed. Odd that the wink app cant control something via wifi, you would think that all you would have to do is simply login to honeywell via the app. Figured the hub was mainly for z-wave and zigbee devices.

The App will only control Wink App Enabled devices. This is where we have been discussing about the HUB which seems to be a somewhat universal translator for different products to control via your Wink App thru the HUB to these devices. This is why I want to get my hands on the HUB and test it out. Unfortunately, I may not get mine till later rather then sooner, because of Home Depot having some issues. 

So in reading more about this promotional deal on the wink site it looks like I can buy two of the GE light bulbs for $14.99 a piece and I will be able to get the wink hub for 99 cents. Im going to try this out tomorrow at home depot and hopefully will walk away with the bulbs and hub for $31 bucks!

So in reading more about this promotional deal on the wink site it looks like I can buy two of the GE light bulbs for $14.99 a piece and I will be able to get the wink hub for 99 cents. Im going to try this out tomorrow at home depot and hopefully will walk away with the bulbs and hub for $31 bucks!

On the Amazon link from my post above, it says: "For a limited time, get $25 off the Wink Hub with the purchase of 1 eligible accessory, or $49 off with the purchase of 2 or more accessories when shipped and sold by Amazon.com. All items must be added to cart to receive the discount."

Not sure about Home Depot, of course. The items on Amazon are limited and are much more expensive than the light bulbs you're talking about.

J.

Yeah I have no clue if the bulbs and hub would really go for that much at home depot, but the press release from wink here: http://www.winkapp.com/press/wink-debuts-broadest-collection-of-connected-home-productspretty much makes it seem that way and worth a try.

"The Wink HUB MSRP is $79.99. However, through Labor Day at The Home Depot, the Wink HUB is priced at $49.99. With the purchase of one Wink-compatible product from The Home Depot, the price of the Wink HUB drops to $24.99, and with the purchase of two Wink-compatible products, it drops to $0.99."

Yeah I have no clue if the bulbs and hub would really go for that much at home depot, but the press release from wink here: http://www.winkapp.com/press/wink-debuts-broadest-collection-of-connected-home-productspretty much makes it seem that way and worth a try.

"The Wink HUB MSRP is $79.99. However, through Labor Day at The Home Depot, the Wink HUB is priced at $49.99. With the purchase of one Wink-compatible product from The Home Depot, the price of the Wink HUB drops to $24.99, and with the purchase of two Wink-compatible products, it drops to $0.99."

Did you talk to a home depot employee about the discount to confirm?  They seemed clueless at the one by me.  Guess I could always show them the press release.   

This Wink looks kind of cool however, I wonder what kind of support you get with it? Or ar you on your own with this?

With the Home Depot staff not knowing about it concerns me however, I have been into my local Lowe's and a few others where I travel around to and find it HIGHLY odd that the employees I talk to don't know about Iris and its devices. Kind of odd since they have the Iris Kiosk and pass it probably 5-10 times a day while working there. I even talked to a manager that has been at my local Lowes since at least 2010 the other day when I bought the garage door controller and I baffled him about it because he had limited knowledge of the product.

I do like however they have more devices available that Iris does not. More specifically the light bulb module.

Did you talk to a home depot employee about the discount to confirm?  They seemed clueless at the one by me.  Guess I could always show them the press release.   

I talked to the staff, showed them a couple press releases...he just kept asking if i had looked on the home depot web site, and if it wasn't there then it probably wasn't real.

I just found mention of the deal on home depots website: http://t.homedepot.com/c/Electrical_Offers

Simplify Home Automation with Wink

For a limited time, get Wink Hub for $0.99 when you buy any 2 Wink connected products, or $24.99 when you buy the Wink Hub and any one Wink connected product. Wink Hub must be purchased in the same transaction as the eligible products. Not valid on previous purchases. Limit one per customer. In-store Only. Offer valid through 9/3/14.

I am definitely going out today to grab a hub and the light bulbs!

Nice!  Looks like they've done a little work on their site since monday also.  This is the first time i've been able to see a full list of the Wink compatible products...or maybe i just wasn't looking in the right place  ;)

Really wanting to check out the Quirky Refuel, that product is what's driving my whole interest in this platform (though it doesn't actually require the hub).  Guess i'll have to go run the devices through checkout and see what happens, but at least now I can show the staff an announcement on their own site...

Nice!  Looks like they've done a little work on their site since monday also.  This is the first time i've been able to see a full list of the Wink compatible products...or maybe i just wasn't looking in the right place  ;)

Really wanting to check out the Quirky Refuel, that product is what's driving my whole interest in this platform (though it doesn't actually require the hub).  Guess i'll have to go run the devices through checkout and see what happens, but at least now I can show the staff an announcement on their own site...

Yeah, this system is starting to show its better than Iris. I have been looking through it all morning. Just to think, its just now coming out with its feet running. Iris is still sitting down on thier feet. They came out with the WifFi module for both Gas and Electric water heaters. Iris STILL has not came out with the electric water heater one. *sigh* I might have to re-invest in it since Iris is not proving itself. Iris hit the floor in 2012...... No excuses.

This system looks interesting.  It's definitely prettier than Iris.  Am I the only one that notices it has not security features what-so-ever?  I see a motion sensor and that's it.  It seems like a giant oversight that they don't have a siren, or door/window sensors, or keypad.

I talked to the staff, showed them a couple press releases...he just kept asking if i had looked on the home depot web site, and if it wasn't there then it probably wasn't real.

I was told by Home Depot Customer Service that it's only good in store and not online. Push for it in store. I've spoken to the manager of my local store this AM. She called me and I spoke with her about this, She told me to come in and they would honor it for me because of a huge fiasco of trying to get the HUB for the last 3 days from Home Depot. So, I'm going over there at lunch today.  

This system looks interesting.  It's definitely prettier than Iris.  Am I the only one that notices it has not security features what-so-ever?  I see a motion sensor and that's it.  It seems like a giant oversight that they don't have a siren, or door/window sensors, or keypad.

This is because it's advertise for Home Automation not Security, that is why you don't see any security features. Some people don't want to jump on that band wagon, not without you agreeing to something first so that it would release liability from them. 

I just got back from my local home depot... They had a nice little wink display set up and a flyer was posted for the discounted hub deals. Unfortunately they did not have the GE light bulbs so I passed on getting the hub today. They had quite the selection of products, the water heater module and propane tank thing looked cool.