Home Voice Control
2 2

20 posts in this topic

I know they system can be voice controlled from a phone app. But i think it would be great if there were some sort of wireless or plug in microphone that was passively listening for key words so you can control devices. 

For example, i could say 'Wake up Iris' then it would accept a command like 'lower temperature 3 degrees' or 'Turn on alarm'

This would not only allow you to really interact with they system in a great way, but the future possibilities are endless. Using speech recognition to communicate with your home is something i have been looking to create for a while. but Iris has the base hardware/software already in place. 

smitho,

You are correct. i guess i didn't do enough research, i apologize. It does look like it does a few cool things.

however, is there any device out there that i can use in the other rooms that will interact with this? or do i have to have a voice control box in each room?

Isn't that what the Ivee voice control box does?

Do a search before you consider Ivee.  I have one and I can tell you that it is absolutely worthless.  Easily the biggest disappointment of any device I have ever purchased.  I had high hopes for it but the developers were terrible.  Every update bricked the device, word recognition was terrible and the device now appears to be abandoned with no sight of future updates or improvements,  I could not trust it with Iris and removed it from my system.  Ivee is dead.

Does iris allow for any other voice controlled items like ivee? 

Most choices are related to phone apps.  You have the regular Iris app, the Iris+ app written by one of our own developers on this forum and then there is Tasker which will allow you to write your own commands and execute them with voice commands into your phone. 

My solution was to go with Iris+ because I have a moto360 watch and Iris+ installs an android wear app on my watch which allows me to execute Iris voice commands into the watch. 

Example:  Master Bedroom Fan ON

Sorry if i was unclear. What i meant was, is there any other devices, similar to the ivee box, that iris can support?

My bad. Not besides what has been mentioned. There really isn't a whole out there. If you where thinking about the Amazon Echo no news from Iris/Lowes on the that. With the up coming change to hub V2 I image there might be a slow down on some new compatible devices. 

Yeah, I've read that the ivee box is terrible... but it is a "supported" device that "aims" to provide the functionality requested on this forum.
Hopefully there will be some additional options with the apparent revamp of the iris system coming soon.

I doubt we are getting homekit support with the new hub (one can hope... right?), but if we did, rumor is there is an apple TV coming out this year with siri.
I can see apple tv becoming sort of a home automation controller in the future... hopefully one day it will work with iris.

Maybe iris can figure out something creative with cortana... which is baked into windows 10 coming next week.
It would be nice to have a native windows application... they have a framework now which allows developers to create "universal apps" which work on mobile devices and a traditional PC. So one app would work on windows phones, tablets, laptops, and desktops.
I'm not sure to what degree microsoft exposes cortana to 3rd parties, but it would be a very cool idea.

I can relate my experience with Ivee.  
I've been reasonably satisfied.  

You have to speak somewhat slowly, but if you set up your control names in intelligible ways it actually does recognize you.  
It is at times a little quirky and I don't like that it'lll sometimes mistake something said on the TV for it's control word, but it does what I wanted it to do.

The HUGE bonus of Ivee, the main reason I got it, is that it can TURN ON or TURN OFF a control group instead of simply "toggle" it.  
This is my main complaint against Iris, and one that apparently they can solve easily with an app configuration because Ivee can do it.

For instance: I have a control group set up for every room that contains every light switch that's NOT in that room.  So I can come into my living room and say "turn off Zone 2", and it shuts all those lights outside the living room.  I chose "zone 2" as the name because "Not Living Room" or "Living Room Exclude" is too close to the name of the living room lights.  This is how you deal with Ivee, by making the names clear and distinct from each other.

I wish I could assign an specific "ON" or "OFF" action for a control group to a Magic Button, but for some really damn annoying reason they only let you "toggle" a group with a button, which means anything that was on goes off, or off goes on.  If you had lights in the group in various states that's worthless.

Wow... I had big plans for lighting in the future. If there are no discrete on/off controls (only toggle), that makes it completely worthless to me. I'm glad I haven't started buying switches yet.
So there is no simple way to "turn off all lights" if some are on and some are off already?

Only from the website or the app... that feature has been requested many times in the wish list, as I remember. Maybe you could have a cheap WiFi-only Android tablet sitting out tuned into the app full time (as a tabletop controller). I've seen the smaller tablets for as little as $50 at sellouts. They may be OK for dedicated single-app use.

I would wait until the system roles out to see what the new backend will offer. It really isn't a hardware issue. The new backend could have a lot of the things we have been waiting and hoping for.

My bad. Not besides what has been mentioned. There really isn't a whole out there. If you where thinking about the Amazon Echo no news from Iris/Lowes on the that. With the up coming change to hub V2 I image there might be a slow down on some new compatible devices. 

Amazon recently released the SDK for the Echo, and I've been working on a "skill" which will allow you to control Iris by speaking to the Echo (using the un-published Iris API). My goal is to be able to say something like "Alexa, ask Iris to turn off the living room light". There are quite a few hurdles to actually implementing this on any other Echo besides my own (i.e. no app-store yet for the Echo), but i'll be happy to share my source code when/if I get it working. Hopefully, Lowes is building their own integration with the Echo into the new hub, and my app will be completely unnecessary. 

Amazon recently released the SDK for the Echo, and I've been working on a "skill" which will allow you to control Iris by speaking to the Echo (using the un-published Iris API). My goal is to be able to say something like "Alexa, ask Iris to turn off the living room light". There are quite a few hurdles to actually implementing this on any other Echo besides my own (i.e. no app-store yet for the Echo), but i'll be happy to share my source code when/if I get it working. Hopefully, Lowes is building their own integration with the Echo into the new hub, and my app will be completely unnecessary. 

Might I ask if you have any good info compiled on the Iris API? I might be blind, and my google-fu might be weak but I've had a devil of a time finding much on it.

Earl, I am glad you are checking into this.  I think you right on the money for this integration.  Has anyone from Iris mentioned this?  This should be a huge investment for them to get ready as Echo has the voice controls done very nicely and will only get better.  it has a bigger customer base than the Ivee.

Those who had a bad experience with Ivee, has it improved since your initial experiences?

Might I ask if you have any good info compiled on the Iris API? I might be blind, and my google-fu might be weak but I've had a devil of a time finding much on it.

I'd love to take a look at this api as well.