Camera Won't Pair
2 2

16 posts in this topic

So far today I have paired a Smoke/CO detector, door/window sensor and motion sensor. Not so much luck with the camera.

The E-Bay seller said "it wouldn't work with his system" so I don't know exactly which system he had.

I went through the usual pairing procedure. The power and network LEDs illuminate, I can hear the shutter click at times.

I've been through this process at least 4 times and still no luck. 

I pressed the reset button for well over 10 seconds, with and without power. 

Still no luck. Any additional ideas?

A camera will only pair when hooked to your hub/network with a network cable. Is that connected? Also, any time you reset the device, you must again pair with the cable connected, as you wipe out the wireless connection information. Just checking because you didn't mention the cable...

"The usual pairing procedure" is a little unclear.  The camera pairing procedure is a bit different than other devices.  Are you starting out with a wired connection?

Here is the pairing procedure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha7ZLDQTeQU

Here is the procedure to fully reset the camera.

http://www.lowes.com/cd_Customer+Support_202829824_?category=camera#18

You may need to go through this if the procedure above doesn't work since your camera was booted without the wired connection. 

It's possible that the previous owner started it up without the wired connection and that put it into a state where it won't pair now.  You'll need to try the full reset procedure - obviously skipping the steps for removing it from IRIS.

There is a note on the support site that says that you can use the WPS button on routers that have it. It's unclear how this would work. You might try putting the hub in pairing mode and pressing the WPS button on your router (if you have one) and camera.  If that doesn't work it's a full reset.

At this point, I would plug the camera into the router and then check the router status page to see if it has issued a DHCP address for the MAC address of the camera (printed on the camera and I think the box). If it's not connecting to the router, it won't pair. Also, if you have an allowed MAC address list, you will need add it to that.

Glad to hear IRIS support got it going.   I tried to link to the full reset procedure from the troubleshooting site but the format of the IRIS support site makes the link not work.

Here it is for the record.  Basically they want you to take the hub off your network and then hold the reset on the camera for 30 seconds.  For some reason they don't want the camera to see the hub when it boots after the reset.

It is unusual to need to reset the Camera. It is necessary to reset the camera if connecting it to a different Iris hub.

Resetting the Camera will disassociate it with your Iris Hub. You will then need to add it back to your system, i.e., re-pair it with the Iris Hub, as if it was a new device.

• First, remove the device from your Iris system:
  • From the Superdashboard, click "Devices"
  • Click "Manage" next to the Camera
  • Click "Remove" and confirm that you are sure you want to remove it
  • Next, reset the device:
  • Remove the Hub from the local network by removing the Ethernet cable from the back of the hub.
  • Power down the camera by removing the power cable. Wait at least 30 seconds.
  • Connect camera to the router via ethernet cable, and then power it on by reconnecting the power cable.
  • Wait at least 3 minutes while the camera boots up. Both power and network lights will be ON solid.
  • Hold a pin in the reset hole for thirty seconds
  • Release pin from the reset button.
  • The camera will go through its powering on cycle again, and may make a clicking sound.
  • Again, wait at least 3 minutes while the camera boots up. Both power and network lights will be ON solid.
  • Power down camera by removing the power cable)
  • Reconnect the Hub to the local network by connecting the ethernet cable to the back of the hub.
  • Last, re-pair the Camera with the Iris Hub:
  • From the Superdashboard, click "Devices" in the main menu
  • Click "Add Devices"
  • The Iris Hub will chirp when the Camera is detected and a picture of the device will appear in the box.
  • Remember, the Iris Hub will need a few minutes to configure the device as if it were brand new. Please allow up to 10 additional minutes for this to complete before using the Camera.

Wow. We didn't have to go that far. She pretty much had me pair it like I had already done, but with her controlling the process.

Nonetheless it now works. I have to assume it was problematic as the other person had it on his network before.

Thanks for the comprehensive link. 

On 7/25/2015 at 7:24 PM, awraynor said:

Finally had enough sense to call Iris support. She controlled pairing from her end and it's now working. Thanks for your help. 

My Iris tech support call today ended with them telling me that my two new RC8221D model cameras are incompatible with the second generation Iris hub.  :( I guess I shouldn't pout too much since the entire system is going offline in March anyway but I was so pumped that I had bought these cameras to complement the single original working RC8221 Sercomm camera I've had for years on my Iris network.